Post new topic   Reply to topic    of the Hill People Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Frost-wyrm
Raider

re: Building a WoW Machine

So I never got to building my computer. I talked myself out of it this summer, but things have recently changed. I just broke up with my gf and freed up like $1500 that was gonna be spent going to spain to visit her while she was abroad. I have thrown some things together and would like your guys opinions.

From what I hear, WoW relies more on the proc than the video card. My choices reflect that.

From zipzoomfly (20% bing cash back/free shipping):

SAMSUNG SH-S223B 22X SATA DVD Burner Black Drive
$27.99 - 20% bing cash back = $22.39

WESTERN DIGITAL WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB SATA 7200 RPM 32MB Buffer Hard Drive
$105.99 - 20% bing cash back = $84.79 - $15 mail in rebate = $69.79

Zipzoomfly total = $92.18

----------------------

From Newegg (6% bing cash back):

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX
$119

SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
$79.99

-----------Newegg Combo for MOBO and OS--------------

ECS BLACK SERIES A780GM-A AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM

$156 total (after saving $23 from combo) with $15 MIR

--------------------------------------------------------------

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply
$64.99 with $20 MIR ($44.99 AR)

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$59.95

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
$51.99

Saitek PZ30AU Black USB Standard Eclipse Keyboard
$39.99

Newegg total before MIR and Bing cashback =$571.91
Newegg total after Bing cashback = $537.65
Newegg total after MIR ($35 total) = $502.65

-----------------------

Grand Total (zip zoom fly + newegg) = $594.83 before taxes

Tell me what you guys think. Where did I spend too much or too little? I am sure I could upgrade the video card.

Try not to be too harsh on me plz . I've never built a computer so I am probably missing some integral part... idk

(hopefully all the links are correct )

re: Re: Building a WoW Machine

I'm gonna throw you some general advice. If you want more specific advice I'll be happy to provide that as well. If anybody disagrees with my advice, that's fine. If you wish to discuss it with me we can do it off forum. This doesn't need to turn into an X v. Y debate.

First off:
Frost-wyrm wrote:

From what I hear, WoW relies more on the proc than the video card. My choices reflect that.

is absolutly not the case. You have a shit vid card and it's gonna run like shit. I promise, I tried it.

On to the general advice.

First, the *minimum* graphics card you should be looking at is a Nvidia GTX 260 with 216 cores or an ATi 4870 with 1G mem (*not* 512M). You can get a 4890 for not much more than the 4870's right now and they run almost as good as a GTX 285 and in some cases better.

The vid card is absolutely crucial. Much more than the CPU. You can get by on an average CPU, you can't get by on an average vid card.

Second, get an i7. Yes I know they are expensive, however they wipe the floor with everything else and will be your best bet if you plan to keep this compy for 3+ years.
Frost-wyrm
Raider

Argh, I'd like to keep it beneath $650 or $700. Your recommended video card and proc will hike the price another $400-500. I'm not going for top of the line, just something that will beat the shit out of my macbook . I'm not trying to play crysis at max settings :P.

Well if you can only do one of the things I suggest, get the vid card. It will only up your outlay another $100 or so.
Loafkeeper

I would defiantly go with a better video card. You can save some $$ by not buying an OS then running the Win7 RC till next year.
Harbl

Loafkeeper wrote:
I would defiantly go with a better video card. You can save some $$ by not buying an OS then running the Win7 RC till next year.

I totally missed vista in the list. Definatly don't buy that. Use that savings to get a 4890.
Frost-wyrm
Raider

Ok, I took your guys advice and changed things up. With the change to the video card, I thought a higher wattage power supply would be needed so I upgraded that. Here are the pieces of the order I changed, everything else remained the same.

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
Much more expensive than the one I listed earlier, but has great reviews and I hear you can't go wrong with gigabyte.

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
700W should be more than enough for this build and maybe an upgrade down the road.

XFX HD-487A-ZHFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
Here is the radeon you wanted. It had great reviews.

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
Same hard drive as before, except from newegg and it is only 640gb. I don't need a whole TB and the 640gb version apparently has less problems than the others.

My end order total was $717.33.
I was confirmed to get $74.89 cash back through bing.

Total after $15 MIR = $627.44

Just a thought and others can correct me if its a dumb one. Maybe do 2 hard drives. One for your OS and then one for all the other applications and storage. The OS hard drive could be much much smaller.

2 drives is defiantly a valid tactic. I'm running my box that way currently. I don't think it really has any advantage though.

The stuff looks good. I'm sure you could have stayed with that other mobo and been fine and saved some bones, but either way it should run well.
Frost-wyrm
Raider

I am anxiously awaiting my order to come in, but I have a question. What should I do about cooling(fans and such) and should I buy a thermal paste such as:

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

to put on the proc. If I need this, do I have to do it before I put the comp together and get it running?

Frost-wyrm wrote:
What should I do about cooling(fans and such) and should I buy a thermal paste such as:

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

to put on the proc. If I need this, do I have to do it before I put the comp together and get it running?

Thermal paste is absolutely required! The cpu usually comes with a bit on it, but any custom-built computer needs to have it. The l33t builders usually scrape off the factory-applied paste, and apply the (better) Arctic Silver paste.
Frost-wyrm
Raider

A quick question about actually building it:

What size screws should I have laying around that will work for putting together my PC? I am only a college student so I dont just have screws sitting around the apartment thatll work for my PC. I keep reading reviews or whatnot and a lot say to have a bag of screws handy. Also, the dvd drive and hard drive I bought are OEM so they won't be coming with screws (I don't believe my case has screw-less drive placement whatever).

YES!!! you definitely want to get some Arctic Thermal paste, that shit owns!!! When you go to clean off the factory paste make sure you use Q-tips and rubbing alcohol to make sure the surface is fully cleaned before you put the Paste on there.
Frost-wyrm
Raider

I bought 3 120mm fans for this case (2 already come with it). Two go into the front part behind the filter, which will be both intake to push air over the hard drive and whatnot. There is one near the top of the back plate and the one on the top of the case itself, those will both be exhaust to get the hot air out. Now what should I do about the fan on the side? Should I make it another exhaust and have 2 intake fans and 3 exhaust? Logic tells me that would be the best so that I have more air leaving the case than I do entering. I guess I could set the speed to the exhaust fans a little slower so that intake and exhaust are a little more even. Anyway, I'm not an expert in any of this so I could use some more advice.

What should I do about the fan situation?

Forum Image

I have that exact case. I am just running the stock fans. With a system that is a step behind yours. Its fine. Temp is never a problem. If you really want just put one blowing on the video card and call it good.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum